Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Am I Mis-Aligned to be blessed?

OK, here we go. It's been literally years since I've had the habit of writing on a regular basis and sharing that with my friends. I wish I could tell you exactly why that is, but I'm not sure I even know at this point. What I do know is it is time to reestablish some priorities in my life and reorder some things as well. I won't bore you with the details of why I'm writing today, or what's been going on, I will simply share what God has shared with me this week. Maybe 'confession' will come when I understand more fully what I need to 'confess'.



In our Community Group this past Sunday, we studied about King Asa and the topic, "Signs that your life is mis-aligned to receive God's blessing". There was a list of 8 signs which I will share in a moment. I'm not a mechanic or a car guy. I've just never really been a 'gear head'. Techy stuff is more my thing. However, I do know that sometimes the front end on your vehicle can get out of alignment. Usually, this happens slowly, a little 'bump' at a time, and the car starts to pull one direction or the other, especially when you hit the brakes. Sometimes it can get knocked out of alignment by a huge pot hole or some obstacle in the road. Usually when that happens, we know it immediately.



Sometimes our lives get out of alignment as well. It can come from a huge pothole in the road that really knocks us off course, but more than likely it comes one 'little bump at a time'. We sin but don't confess it and repent. We are hurt or offended but we don't deal with it. Whatever the bump may be, we continue to drive down the road with our hands on the wheel, not even recognizing that there is a force at work trying to steer us off the path. Once the mis alignment gets bad enough, as soon as you take your hands off the wheel, you're in the ditch.



I don't know about your life, but I can look at my own life over the past three or four years and say that there have been some 'major pot holes' and a lot of bumps in the road that have knocked me out of alignment. Let me share those indicators with you now.



2 Corinthians 4:17-18 (ESV)
{17} For this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, {18} as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.

Psalm 37:22-24 (ESV)
{22} for those blessed by the LORD shall inherit the land, but those cursed by him shall be cut off. {23} The steps of a man are established by the LORD, when he delights in his way; {24} though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the LORD upholds his hand.





The things that break God's heart don't break yours.
You prefer to be isolated from others
Your relationships are strained
You can't remember being part of another persons faith journey
You're fine with all these things
That's all I can remember of the 8 things at the moment, but I think you get the idea.



Here's the real test. It's one thing to acknowledge that these things exist in my life. (or don't exist, whichever the case may be) Recognizing their existence is just the first step. Real healing comes when we allow the Holy Spirit to address these things in our lives and change us.



As I was writing this devotion, I called Todd Braschler to get some information. (or so I thought) Instead I received some 'revelation' and some 'inspiration'. Todd is a good friend. He challenged me that even being ashamed about my condition is its own form of pride. He challenged me to seek the Lord till I could come to a place of rejoicing about this present situation and struggle, believing that God has brought it about in order to align my life with His purpose for me. I will admit, I'm not there yet, but as I write, I realize that scripture is right. Todd is right. And I need to rejoice!



The scripture quoted above from Corinthians challenges me to look beyond what I can see to what God sees for me. I want to challenge you to do the same. Rather than letting your circumstances determine your vision, let God's vision become yours. Let His vision for your life become the prevailing motivator in your life.



We must deal with our sin but we cannot stay there. God brings sin to our attention because He has a better future ahead. Repent. Confess. Follow God's voice, God's direction and look for God's vision for your future. Don't take your hands off the wheel and let your 'mis-alignment' send you in the ditch. Get aligned and enjoy a wonderful trip with the Master!

No comments: