Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Why The Desert?

Galatians 1:15-17 (NASB) 15 But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, was pleased 16 to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood, 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went away to Arabia, and returned once more to Damascus.
Yesterday I was on the phone with a good friend who had been spending their quiet time contemplating the subject of "the desert". The question they asked was "What is the purpose of the desert in my life?" I've been thinking about that question ever since.

The bible is filled with stories of the desert. The best known story is the exodus. As Israel quickly approached the "promised land" one reason for the desert became known: In the desert we learn to depend on and listen to God rather than our friends, family or advisors. Because the Israelites hadn't learned to believe God's advice over their own common sense, they listened to the 10 spies and spent 40 years learning to be totally dependant upon God. The desert delayed their entrance, but it taught them the most important lesson in life.

Prior to this event, Moses had taken matters into his own hands and had killed a man. Because of his sin, he was forced to retreat to the backside of the desert for 40 years. Here we see another reason for the desert: The reality of my sin and the fear of the consequences cause me to retreat to a place where I can cry out for God's forgiveness. Moses knew what he had done was wrong, but he didn't feel remorse until he "got caught". That fact forced him into the desert where he obviously "dealt" with his sin with the only person who mattered: God.

Paul went to the desert after his Damascus Road experience to sort out what he had learned all his life about God and the law and his new experience with a very real Son of God. He didn't want to hear other men's opinions about the claims of Christ to be the Son of God. He wanted God to show him everything their was to know about Christ from the same Old Testament writings that Paul had used to condemn Christianity. It was in the desert that Paul received divine truth: divine truth that would form the basis for all his arguments in defense of Christ as the Son of God.

You may be going through your own personal desert. I can relate. The past six months of my own life have been a real "desert experience". I am learning that the real blessing, the real victory comes when we embrace the desert as an opportunity for God to deepen and broaden us. Praise God for the desert in your life. Let him teach you in ways on He can.

No comments: