Monday, December 03, 2007

Faith in the name of Jesus

Acts 4:10-12 (NASB)
10 let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead—by this name this man stands here before you in good health.
11 "He is the STONE WHICH WAS REJECTED by you, THE BUILDERS, but WHICH BECAME THE CHIEF CORNER stone.
12 "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."

Faith. We all have it, at least according the bible, but admittedly some people have more than others. It's of great importance to have faith, but even greater to have it in the right place. I have faith that the computer is going to work till I finish this devotion. I have faith that my wife and daughter will come home at the end of the day. I have faith that the brakes on my car will work when I need them. I have faith in a lot of things, but that faith is minor compared to the kind of faith that is being spoken of in this passage.

Faith in the name, authority and reputation of Jesus Christ is the kind of faith that changes circumstances. It is the belief that Jesus Christ really is the Son of God and that He died for our sins because He loves us and He presently intercedes on our behalf with the same love. If I were to go the Capitol building in Jefferson City and ask to speak to the governor, I would most likely be denied. Even if I told the receptionist that it was a matter of extreme urgency she would politely take my name and number and have someone get back with me. That's if I'm just "Scott". But if I came as an ambassador for the President of the United States and was carrying papers granting me the full authority of his office, I would not only get in to see the Governor, I would get the royal treatment. On my own authority, I'm not very impressive. But when I come on the authority of the Son of God, I gain great authority. If I can learn to accept that position and walk in it with quiet confidence, doors will open that had previously remained shut. Opportunities will avail themselves that before weren't even a dream.

Jesus said, "you believe in God. Believe also in me". Place yourself in the position of the subordinate to Christ instead of expecting Him to be yours. See if God doesn't do amazing things in your life.

No comments: