Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Have You Ever Missed Your Turn?

Have You Ever Missed Your Turn?

Romans 13:11-12 (NASB)
11 Do this, knowing the time, that it is already the hour for you to awaken from sleep; for now salvation is nearer to us than when we believed.
12 The night is almost gone, and the day is near. Therefore let us lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.

One evening last week I was on my way to pick someone up at their house to take them to church. As I was driving toward their house, I was on the phone talking to someone else. As we talked, I become focused on the conversation rather than my destination and totally forgot where I was going. Somewhere down the road I realized I had missed my turn, got my mind back on my task, turned around and finished what I set out to do. In the process I felt really stupid!



Sometimes our walk with Christ resembles what I just described. We know our "destination". We set out to live godly lives that will honor God, but somewhere along the way we get distracted and totally forget where we are going. We head down a wrong road, maybe even doing some wrong things. Wrong things, otherwise known as sin, will happen in our lives. The real test in our lives is what we do when we realize we've strayed from the path. If we turn around and get back on track, we may feel really stupid, but at least we're back on track.



Once I realized I had taken a wrong road on my way to pick up my friend, it would have been really stupid to have said, "Oh well. I'll just keep going down this road anyway." The difference between "feeling stupid" and "being stupid" is what I do when I realize I have strayed.



Maybe you have missed a turn or two in your own life. Maybe you have strayed from the intended path. May I urge you to "turn around" and get back on the right track? "The night is almost gone, and the day is near. Therefore let us lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light."





Pastor Scott

No comments: